THE SUNDAY MESSENGER
November 1, 2020
21st Anniversary of the Enthronement of Karekin II, Catholicos of All Armenians
War in Artsakh
The war continues in Nagorno-Karabagh (Artsakh) with extensive loss of lives, casualties and Turkey’s continued desire to annihilate us. We are standing ALONE in this war but our people are determined to fight and are willing to die, if necessary, for our homeland. Prayers and donations are needed urgently!
Click here to make your donation IMMEDIATELY or send check to:
Holy Trinity Armenian Church – Memo: Artsakh
Saturday, October 31, Feast of All Saints
The saints formally acknowledged by the Church are not the only people who have dedicated their lives to God. There are many who remain unknown and yet lived a holy life just as devoted to Jesus Christ as the saints whom we know and remember. The Church recognizes some saints by name, but on the Feast of All Saints honors the many saintly men and women whorest in Christ and pray for us. We are indeed surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses (Hebrews 12:1) who cheer us on to live a holy life, to run the race of perseverance, as we fix our eyes on Jesus. Together, the saints — old and new, known and unknown — have run that race and persevered. They have modeled what it looks like to be Christian. We are called to be more than just inspired by the saints, but to emulate their very lives and actions.
Reflection/activity: Choose a saint from the Diocesan calendar and learn more about them. Reflect prayerfully on how they exemplify a life centered in Christ.
TODAY’S BIBLE READINGS:
Ephesians 1: 1-14 (pages 174- 175) New Testament
Luke 8: 17-21 (page 61) New Testament – (Please follow the Armenian Reading in your Bible)
Isaiah 22: 15-24 (pages 699- 700) Old Testament
REQUIEM SERVICES: Hokehankist today will be for:
– FOR ALL THE BRAVE SOLDIERS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE REPUBLIC OF ARTSAKH AND ARMENIA requested by the Eastern Diocese and Holy Trinity.
– Harry Mirijanian requested by the Men’s Club
– Manuel & Rose Arpajian and Zaven Hovsepian requested by Ralph and Nane` Arpajian
– Hermine Bogosian requested by Paul Bogosian
– Mr. & Mrs. John Bandaian and Family requested by their son John Sr.
– Injaian and Torigian Families requested by Harry and Mary Injaian
– Robert Karpinski, Peter Ambarian & Lillian Ambarian requested by David Ambarian and Susan Karpinski
“Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night….” (Nehemiah 1:5–6). Prayers are requested for Ethel Terzian, Taron Poghosyan, Alice Charles, Theodora Mirakian, Leslie Movsesian and Zevart Shakarjian.
THE WAR IN NAGORNO-KARABAGH (Artsakh)
Thank you all for your continued support of our brothers and sisters in Artsakh. We have passed the one-month mark of aggression by the Azeris with no end in sight. We are thankful to see Armenians coming together from all over the world to protect our land and our people BUT WE CANNOT STOP! Too many lives have been lost. Please continue to PRAY, PRAY, PRAY and GIVE, GIVE, GIVE. Use this
- PROTEST. The Philly rally scheduled for this Saturday, 10/31 is now taking place at the Trump rallies in Reading, PA and Bucks County. You can find details on the Armenian East Coast Protest Info Facebook Group.
- CALL, EMAIL, TWEET MEMBERS OF CONGRESS. Ask your rep to recognize Artsakh and your senators to stop arms sales to Turkey + Azerbaijan. Visit ANCA.ORG/ALERT to fill out a form to get started. ANCA will put you in touch with your rep and supply the email template or phone script.
- DONATE. You can donate through Armenia Fund or Holy Trinity, or by sending a check made out to Holy Trinity Armenian Church (memo: Artsakh).
- USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO SPREAD AWARENESS. When sharing content about Artsakh, use the hashtags to amplify the conversation (e.g. #RecognizeArtsakh), and be sure to use correct spelling. Also, report aggressive Azeri and Turkish online behavior. Do not engage in it.
- LEARN. You can get the latest news from social media or you can visit agbu.org/artsakhfacts or thehyenetwork.com/artsakh for background.
“Walking Through the Gospel of Mark” continues on Tuesdays evenings through November 17 (7:00 – 8:00 PM) led by our Pastoral Intern, Dn. Armen Terjimanian.
The Gospel of Mark is the earliest written of the Gospels, and at 16 chapters, it is the shortest. It’s also dramatic and fast-moving. Our journey, which will begin at the River Jordan, will be casual and easygoing. We will read together and ask questions as they arise. Attendance at all sessions is not required but invited!
DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME
ends Sunday night, November 1. So be sure to turn your clocks BACK one hour and gain an extra hour of sleep! Remember: Spring forward, Fall back!
CHURCH CALENDAR (please mark your calendars)
Tuesdays 9/29 through 11/17: Walking Through the Gospel of Mark
Saturday 10/31: Daylight Saving turn clocks back 1 hour
The Diocesan Annual Appeal – We encourage our faithful to be supportive in any way they are able, especially now with the shortfall that the Diocese has experienced because of COVID. This year’s Appeal will have an extra feature for new or existing donors. A generous benefactor has stepped forward with a match, so your donation will be worth more than the check you send them!
MEN’S CLUB “200 CLUB” – Eight (8) Tickets remain for the upcoming 2020-21 season of the 200 Club Raffle. A one-time donation of $100 will entitle you to eight (8) months of drawings, with five winners drawn each month. Your ticket number could be drawn more than once in the eight monthly drawings. In fact, several ticket holders have won twice this past season! The first drawing will take place this November and the last one in June 2021 with the prizes in those two months at $1000 / $400 / $200 / $200 / $ 200. The other six months will be $500 / $200 / $100 / $100 / $100. And your chances are better than the lottery! Buy additional tickets to increase your chances of winning! <> Cannot manage a $100 Ticket right now? – split one with a family member or friend!
Contact Larry DerHagopian (215-489-7116), Mike Tookmanian (484-351-8663), or Mick Paretchan (215-947-4394) if you haven’t already purchased your ticket. There will be $10,000 in Prize Money AND much needed Financial Support for our church, The Men’s Club has also been sponsoring two Armenian Orphans through CASP for many years. Thank you for your support!
We do plan on live streaming service on Sunday
click here to watch live on Facebook